Friday, 26 April 2013

K - It's so not okay!



I still remember the first time I came across this dreadful reply. It was one pleasant day a few years earlier when I was chatting with an online friend. Innocent and a gullible newbie to the ways of cyber chatting, I was anxious to understand it all.

The conversation was taking a boring turn and I had said something (I don't remember what) to which I got a reply in the form of a lonesome letter. The letter 'k'.

Puzzled by what it could have meant, I stressed over the various meanings and full forms it could hold. My initial thought being that it could be okay, but that seemed too far fetched to be true and so I proceeded to asking my friend what 'k' meant. His prompt reply was, “It's 'okay'.”

Okay -> O.K ->  K

Here we see the linear process of okay. A word written in three different manners, the irritability levels increases from left to right.

Now users of the K would be puzzled as to the strong opinions of the haters of the K. Why do we hate it? It's just a letter isn't it? A quick response which only makes typing easier. What's so irritating about it?

There are various types of ways K can be said and expressed. These include;

The K with a emoticon:

K :) or K :P

This is sweet and light hearted and shows that the person has taken the effort to care about you. Putting the small emoticon next to the K shows the way the K is meant to be said and in what emotion. It makes the receiver of the K feel good.

The expressive K:

K! or K?!

This K is tolerant too. With an exclamation it shows that the replier acknowledges something, with a question mark, it asks the receiver if it's okay. With both an exclamation and a question mark, it tries to make the receiver understand that the sender is confused or that he's asking if it's okay or not okay.

The dotted K:

K.....

This is when the irritability levels really start to rise. If the K by it's own wasn't enough, you have the dots that make the receiver feel like the sender is bored or disinterested and isn't really bothered about them anymore.

The small K:

k... or k :D or k!

The small K works in a variety of ways, depending on how it ends and how it is used. If it is used in between a message it doesn't matter much. But if the message starts with a small k then it shows how the sender was too lazy to even turn it into a capital.

The single K:

K

This is the most notorious of all the Ks. The single K!
It's the most annoying thing an individual can do!

When you receive a single K. Most people just stare at it... Waiting.. Waiting for something more. Something to fill all that emptiness.
But no, it's just a K, a single letter staring back at you as you wait.
The insensitivity of the K has nothing to compare to. A single K makes you feel unworthy, unworthy of getting anything more. Like the only time a person has for you is to send a K, just to satisfy you and say that they DID send SOMETHING.

“You are not worthy of my time or effort,” that's what a single K denotes.

My best friend and I absolutely despise K with all our hearts. For us, K is only sent to piss off people, to indirectly tell them that we are pissed with their crap and they aren't worthy of our attention anymore. It works extremely well with people who know our hatred for K well but with others it isn't much of an abnormality. But I have to say, it gives me a great deal of satisfaction to send someone who I am particularity angry, irritated or annoyed with, a K. It has become a means of ending a discussion and has worked many a time as a perfect example of Reverse Psychology. I found that when I send someone a K, 4 outta 5 times they would reply with an apology.

And so K has its benefits too!

But there are other things that are as annoying as K. These include:

1. Dots

    The extra extra dots thats follow a fullstop in a sentence.
    Eg: Hi ya.....how r u doing....?

2. The short-forming of short words

    Like the title says, making short words shorter.
    Eg: K for okay and recently, O for or / of, sill for silly 

3. Completely changing the spelling of a word
   
    Some words are changed to appear cooler, but they could not be more uncool!
    Eg: ma for my (ma birthday iz cominz soon), kewl for cool
  
4. The fondness for Z

     Using way too many Zs in a word.
      Eg: I lizzzzzz it.... , Itzzz o kewl!


(Like seriously? Have you ever walked on the street and heard a person talk like they're a snooze alarm?)

5. The multiplicity of a letter (s)
    When only one letter is needed but you put a lot more for good measure.
     Eg: Hiiiiiiii.... Wazzzzup? Or Omgggggggggg! Thatsss soooo coooolllll......


The above few are some examples of the type of messaging we find today. There are other things that are more annoying but that's for another blog, another day.

So know people of the world! If you type like anything mentioned as 'irritating' in this blog, know that not only I but others with me are cursing you as you type and saying with absolutism- K IS SO NOT OKAY!

1 comment:

  1. Add this to the list!
    'oh ohk'
    dunno why, but this is on the same level as 'K' for me
    just oozing with nonchalance

    ReplyDelete